Welcome to our new educational series How To:. We’re going to be periodically offering classes on all different topics related to writing and self-publishing. See below for information on our first class and check back often for information on future classes.
Wondering why a publishing company would be teaching self-publishing classes? Find out why we are.
How To: Self Publish
If you’re considering self-publishing, then this is a great place to start.
- The various paths to self-publishing
- The pros and cons of each path
- What your first steps should be for any path
- Marketing Basics
- How to avoid the most common self-publishing mistakes.
Date: March 15, 2014
Price: $75 (discount codes available for newsletter subscribers and Facebook friends – subscribe or Like us now on the left hand side of this page so you don’t miss out on the code!)
Location: NOVA Community College Alexandria Campus, Alexandria, VA Bisdorf Building Room AA234
Free parking included in registration fee.
Only 25 spaces available, so register soon! On-site registration will only be available if space remains.
Cancellations must be received at least 72 hours prior to start of workshop to receive a refund. No refunds for no-shows.
How To: Revise and Edit
You’ve written a draft of your book — congratulations! Now it’s time to turn that raw material into the book you dreamed of writing and one your readers won’t be able to put down.
No matter where you are in your writing career, knowing how to revise is the key to taking your work to the next level. In this 3-hour workshop, you will learn:
- Why revising is a vital component of the writing process.
- The levels of revising and editing and when to use each.
- How to revise and edit your own writing, including how to look at your work with fresh eyes.
- How to make the most of feedback from readers and other writers, including how to work with a professional editor.
You will get valuable strategies for rewriting, insight into structure, and a wealth of resources from Terri J. Huck, a professional writer and editor with an MFA in creative writing.