Besties, Bromances, & Soulmates: Stories about Pivotal Relationships
After the success of our 2015 anthology contest “Trick or Treat,” we’ve decided to do it again! This time we want your stories — fiction, nonfiction, and everything in between — about those one-of-a-kind connections, whether they span decades or days, that are rare, meaningful, and pivotal. Stories about the person you turn to for support and laughter — or to help you hide the body.
The submission period ends July 1, 2016. The anthology will be released in October 2016.
Well-written stories with good structure (beginning, middle, end, tension, climax, resolution), interesting characters, and compelling narratives. We love words, and we love writers who show that they do, too.
Feel free to take some risks, but we’re gonna be honest — we’re kind of traditionalists when it comes to the basics of story structure. This isn’t really the place for experimental fiction or post-modernist poetry, and we don’t want you to waste your time here if that’s your jam.
Make us laugh. Make us cry. Make us think. Make us do all three and you’re definitely headed for the winner’s circle.
(Not so) fine print:
The submission fee is $15. The goal isn’t to line our pockets as much as it is to cover basic costs and act as a bit of a deterrent for people who aren’t serious. We’ve found that a small submission fee cuts down on the impulsive 2 a.m. submissions of unedited or unfinished pieces. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
- Submissions must be your original work and no longer than 4,000 words.
- We will accept previously published work as long as the piece is eligible to be republished. Include information about previous publications at the end of the document.
- Please submit your story as a Word document (.doc or .docx).
- Include all contact information on the first page in the upper left corner. (Don’t worry — we’re reading for content, not family name.)
- Include the story name and your name in a header on each page.
- The $15 submission fee must be paid through PayPal.
- You may submit more than one piece, but the submission fee must be paid each time.
- If you are simultaneously submitting a story to other publications, you must let us know. And if it’s accepted elsewhere, please withdraw the piece immediately.
What’s in it for you:
Winners receive $20 (we know, it’s not “quit your job” prize money, but at least it’s a nice return on investment for your submission fee, eh?), plus one copy of the anthology and the opportunity to buy up to five additional copies at wholesale prices. And there’s the obvious benefit of a publishing credit and the opportunity to put your name into Amazon and return a result — or additional results if you’re already on that track.
In addition, we’re always on the lookout for talented writers we want to publish, so your submission could lead to an opportunity to discuss a full-length book or your own anthology of short stories.
What’s in it for us:
We’re a small, independent press, and contests are an efficient way for us to meet and support new and emerging authors. We can only publish three to four books a year, which makes for a small universe of writers, but anthology contests open that universe a little more in a way that’s manageable and productive for everyone.
Possibilities Publishing is founded and run by writers, and we know how satisfying — and difficult — it can be for your words to see the light of day. Helping even a handful of talented writers get their words into the world makes our day.
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
CHECK BACK IN MARCH 2017 FOR DETAILS ABOUT THE NEXT ANTHOLOGY CONTEST